Auto Insurance

Auto insurance is required by every driver in Minnesota. Whether you are a new driver looking for your first policy, or a seasoned driver shopping for better rates and coverage, Metro Insurance Brokers will work to tailor a policy that meets your unique needs at a price you can be happy with.    
Insurance laws determine the minimum requirements that every auto policy must meet, but sometimes the minimum coverage is not sufficient for you or your vehicle. Below we will take a look at the coverage required by Minnesota law, as well as additional coverage designed to offer further protection.  
Drivers are required to carry two types of liability coverage in Minnesota.  These two types of coverage are Property Damage, and Bodily Injury coverage. This liability protection will cover injuries or damages to others as well as their property when you are the driver at fault in an accident.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance provides coverage for injury-related expenses incurred by you or passengers in your vehicle. Minnesota is one of 12 states with no-fault insurance laws meaning that a driver’s own insurance company will cover damages regardless of who is at fault. Passengers with Personal Injury Protection insurance are generally covered under their own policies for injuries they incur. 
Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage are last two requirements under Minnesota law. If you are involved in an accident with someone who does not have sufficient insurance, or who does not insurance at all, these two coverages will provide protection.
Minnesota Minimum Auto Insurance Requirements

Bodily Injury Liability: $30,000 per person and $60,000 per accident
Property Damage Liability: $10,000
Personal Injury Protection (PIP): $40,000
Uninsured Motorist Coverage: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
Underinsured Motorist Coverage: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident

Optional coverage types are available to drivers looking for more substantial coverage than the minimum requirements. This can include collision coverage, comprehensive coverage, rental car coverage, loan/lease gap coverage, and roadside assistance/towing coverage. Collision and comprehensive coverage are two of the most common policy additions.
Collision coverage will cover damages to your vehicle, up to your policy limit, in the event you were to hit another car or something such as an object in the road. It is not uncommon for your bank or lender to require some degree of collision coverage if you are financing or leasing a vehicle. One thing to keep in mind is that as older vehicles lose value, collision coverage loses its value as well.

Comprehensive coverage will protect your vehicle when it is damaged by something other than a collision. This can include vandalism, fire, theft, natural disaster, and other non-collision related damage.   
Whether you are located in Woodbury, Big Lake, or St. Paul, Metro Insurance Brokers will work to tailor a policy to your unique needs at a price you can be happy with. Contact us today for any questions you may have or for an auto insurance quote, or you may use our Auto Insurance Tool to get started!